Niceware’s PTI (Product Traceability Initiative) solution allows companies to print case and pallet labels that include product data as well as compliant barcodes and voice picking codes. Within the printing solution, the customer can utilize their own database records for printing labels. Furthermore, utilizing this existing technology for process integration, the Niceware PTI solution can also be set up as an automated printing application.
The Produce Traceability Initiative (PTI) is an industry-led effort to achieve standardized, electronic produce traceability across the entire supply chain. Within PTI, companies maintain their own internal traceability systems but they share the GTIN of the products that are being shipped for external traceability. This information is tracked across the supply chain for true identification of produce. The main requirement for the initiative is to use the GS1-128 barcode symbology which is based on GS1 global standards.
Niceware International understands the Produce Traceability Initiative and offers a range of labeling solutions for your company including an identification software product that is based on the PTI guidelines.
This sales tip will cover the PTI vision of traceability across the supply chain, benefits of traceability, GS1-128 symbology, and Niceware's solution to PTI.
The vision of PTI is to have each member in the supply chain track two pieces of information on each case. The GTIN and lot numbers can be searched in their internal database as well as tracked externally throughout the supply chain.
The information must appear in both a human-readable form and a machine-readable GS1 barcode so it can be read and understood throughout the supply chain. By using the GS1 standards for identifying product information, each partner in the supply chain can scan and maintain the embedded information in their computer system.
By passing the information electronically, all companies that handle the package will be able to track the fields in their internal databases as well as quickly determine where the produce came from and the final shipping destination is.
To comply with PTI standards, you must:
- Show human-readable information on cases
- Encode information in a barcode (GS1-128)
- Display a compliant voice pick code on all labels
- Read and store information on inbound and outbound cases
For more information on Produce Traceability, visit www.producetraceability.org.
- Companies can maintain their own internal traceability systems and modify their system to include the GTIN, lot number, and pack date for shipments.
- Partners throughout the supply chain will be talking the same language as they will be asking for the GTIN and lot number on shipments.
- Operating efficiencies will improve with produce information being consistent across the world.
- Business intelligence includes tracking by the case level for more visibility.
- Information stored electronically throughout the supply chain for quick responses.
In the Produce Traceability Initiative, each company must obtain a GS1 company prefix to identify their company before assigning GTIN numbers to each case configuration. Each case must display, at minimum, the Global Trade Item Number (GTIN) and the lot number. By identifying each item with this information, each partner in the supply chain will receive the same standardized information.
The 14-digit GTIN number is to be globally unique to allow organizations to identify and track all packaging. In the GS1 system, the information encoded in the GS1 barcode will be machine readable from a barcode scanner. A GS1-128 barcode includes the GTIN, batch/lot number, and can also include a pack date for all inbound and outbound cases.
The symbology of the GS1-128 barcode includes:
- Application Identifier (AI) of "01"
- 14-digit GTIN - First two digits are AI, then one character for packaging level, and a 12 digit manufacturing number and product number (including a check digit).
- Application Identifier (AI) "10" shows the lot code. There is no maximum length on the lot code and the data supplied for the lot code can be alphanumeric. In the example above, the lot code "0995002117A"
- Supports the official PTI data structure for produce identification.
- Prints compliant GS1-128 barcodes as well as generates compliant voice picking codes.
- Allows users to print any custom label with their own product data.
- Includes pre-defined label formats for out-of-the-box printing capabilities.
- Prints to any printer that has a Windows-based driver.
- Supports PDF output of label format for documentation.
Niceware has a video on how to create a GS1-128 barcode in NiceLabel on their YouTube Channel.
ProduceID is a software product that provides the user with a simple yet powerful custom label printing environment that identifies cases and pallets are they are put into the produce supply chain. Niceware's ProduceID is part of a family of identification products that is based off the PTI GTIN Case Code Assignment Strategy and PTI Best Practices for Hybrid Pallet Labeling (Rev 2.4) standards.
ProduceID offers total line management with control on up to 8 production lines running simultaneously. Setup of each line is as simple as selecting the line number and product, and pressing print. ProduceID features a preview of the case label being printed and the active pallet label that will be applied to the pallet on the screen.
ProduceID also includes the ability to build and print Hybrid Pallet Labels as different products as stacked on a pallet. Pallet labeling can be performed in line with production or as a separate labeling task once the pallet is stacked with produce.
Bilingual support is available with the ability to print bilingual label templates in any required language. ProduceID gives the users the ability to enter product data and the label template can combine a single language or a combination of both.
Niceware offers a fully staffed Technical Services team that has experience with hundreds of stand-alone applications. The Technical Services team provides expertise in the design, integration, and implantation of customized solutions. Niceware offers services such as label template design, Oracle/SAP/ERP/WMS integration, technical support, and consulting